This program has specific admission and application requirements outlined below.
There is a $59 fee to apply to the Professional Addiction Studies program. Students who wish to enter the Diploma or Certificate in Professional Addiction Studies are required to meet the following admission criteria based on their education and/or work experience:
- Undergraduate degree in a related field, or college diploma in a related field. Relevant fields of study include psychology, social work, health, social sciences, public health, community and social services, child and youth studies.
- A minimum of 2 years full-time (4,000 hours) supervised experience in fields such as addiction, mental health, social and community services, nursing, law enforcement/criminal justice, or first responders.
To enrol in McMaster Continuing Education programs, you must:
- Have an Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent
- Be a mature student as defined in the Undergraduate Calendar of McMaster University or
- Be deemed an exceptional case
To ensure you are successful in your online courses, you are required to have knowledge and skills with general computer applications, such as keyboarding, file management, video conferencing and word processing.
If your first language is not English, you must meet the University’s English language proficiency requirements. Completion of TOEFL exam with a minimum acceptable score of 20 on each of the four components (reading, writing, speaking and listening), valid for 2 years.
Spring 2023 application dates:
- Open date: January 12, 2023
Close date: April 21, 2023
Fall 2023 application dates:
- Open date: April 22, 2023
Close date: September 1, 2023
Winter 2024 application dates:
- Open date: September 2, 2023
Close date: January 1, 2024
You must submit a completed application package. McMaster Continuing Education does not evaluate admission documentation unless an application is submitted. Please do not use Hotmail addresses to apply.
The application process is a multi-step process. You must apply, receive your acceptance and then you can enrol in courses.
Steps to complete your application:
- Please submit your application using our Online Application Portal.
- Select the box titled ‘McMaster University Continuing Education Application’.
- Create an application account if you have never been a student, employee or researcher with McMaster University (i.e. you do not have a MacID) or sign in with your MacID.
- Identify the specific program for which you are applying
- Select the term in which you wish to begin your studies. If the program is not offered in the term you selected, or if the program is no longer accepting students, a notice will be shown.
- Follow all of the steps to enter your information and upload the required documentation. Be sure to save the information on the application pages before you proceed to the next page.
- Pay the application fee (payable by credit or debit online).
- Submit your application.
You may return to a partially completed application to edit or add new information. Once an application is submitted, no further edits can be made. You will receive an email confirmation of payment and successful application submission. Another email will notify you of the application admission decision after the application data has been reviewed.
Please note: You may experience longer than usual application response times during the months each term begins (May, September and January). Rest assured we will review your application and provide a response as soon as possible.
If you wish to pay by cheque, please contact us to request a paper application which you may submit by mail, with payment. Your application will not be processed until payment is received.
To apply, you will need the following items:
- Current resume (Word or PDF)
- 1-2 page Statement of Intent outlining previous training and experience in the helping field, your assessment of your learning needs and why you think this program will help you meet your learning needs. The purpose of the letter is to help us assess program fit.
your background and reason for interest in the program
- Official/copy of academic transcripts (PDF); or letter from employer
- Credit/debit card to submit the $59 non-refundable application fee
Please note: Your application will not be reviewed until all required documentation is received. You will be notified directly by program staff if additional information or documentation is required.
- Visit continuing.mcmaster.ca/programs to find your program of choice
- Click on each tab on the program page to learn about credential options and requirements, schedule and fees, and a list of all courses in the program
- Select a course and then select an available offering, noting important information such as cost, delivery format, and start/end dates; then click ‘add to cart’
- Once you have added your courses, click the shopping cart icon at the top right-hand corner of the page (bottom of the browser screen on mobile)
- Review your cart and, once you’re ready to proceed with enrolment, click ‘proceed to checkout’
- As the next step, you will be redirected to Mosaic – McMaster’s Administrative Information and Enrolment system
- Once you are in Mosaic, select ‘new to McMaster’ or log in with your existing MacID and password (if applicable)
- Complete all required fields and select a program of study when prompted (i.e., a specific program or open studies for standalone courses)
- Finally, payment is required in full to secure a spot in your course(s)
A payment receipt email will be issued to you immediately after registering, and a course confirmation email will be sent to you overnight. Within approximately 24 hours of registering, you will also receive an important email containing credentials used to activate your MacID, which you must do before you can access courses in Avenue to Learn. Please review our Getting Started page to learn more about the next steps for beginning your studies after registration, and our Help Centre for our Refund Policy and other frequently asked questions. Please note that on average, each course requires 6-8 hours of study per week, per course (sometimes more) and some courses may have listed prerequisites. Please plan your schedule accordingly. Most students take 1-2 courses per term across a few different terms and a full-time equivalent course load is typically 3-4 courses per term.
For more information and a walkthrough on how to register, please check out this video.
- Payment must be made in full at the time of enrolment
- Online credit card or debit payments are preferred
- Accepted credit cards: Visa, MasterCard and American Express
- Accepted debit cards: Visa Debit and Debit Mastercard
- Google Pay is available for faster checkout
- Payments can be made from a Canadian Financial Institution and can take 2 to 4 business days to arrive in your McMaster student account. Once payment has arrived, you can register for your course. Please note that if the amount of the course fees owing is more than what was transferred to your student account, you will be dropped from the course.
Information Box Group
Online Application Portal
Ready to start your application?
Have you already applied and been accepted?
Congratulations! You can now register for your courses. Visit the Courses tab to select your course and proceed with the registration steps.